Sedating a pet

Whom should I contact as I am considering travel arrangements? Where do I get a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health certificate) and acclimation certificate, if needed? Your pet must be examined by a veterinarian in order for a health certificate to be issued.

This certificate basically indicates your pet is healthy to travel and is not showing signs of a disease that could be passed to other animals or to people.

In these cases, a sedative or general anesthetic is typically needed in conjunction with a local anesthetic. Lidocaine should be used with caution in animals with certain heart conditions or liver disease.

Bupivacaine is similar to lidocaine and lasts for 2-6 hours.Morphine may be combined with a local anesthetic for epidurals.These pills may not be sedatives, but they are amazing in helping poor Fido get a few moments of rest and calm.Click here to see more details on how they work and prices.For additional, more specific information on traveling with animals, including updated regulations, visit our Animal Travel and Transport pages.

What should I think about when deciding to travel with my pet? Forms of travel Other resources Many states require an up-to-date Certificate of Veterinary Inspection from a licensed, accredited veterinarian when traveling.All in all, sedatives are used for a wide variety of reasons, including nail trimming, travel, and many others, but while choosing sedatives, dog owners should take some precautions.Research has shown that an animal’s heart rate, temperature, and respiration all drop once the animal is under sedation.You're packed, you have the health certificate and you are ready to take that much needed vacation with your pet.You just have one more thing to decide: should you sedate your pet for the trip or not?Unfortunately what you and your pet prefer may not be what is safe or even necessary.